Did you know that a DUI/DWI arrest in Houma or elsewhere in Terrebonne Parish can lead to community service, home monitoring, the loss of your driver’s license, and even jail time?
Did you know that if you are arrested in Terrebonne Parish, anyone can access your arrest record? Any employer or future employer will be able to check this information easily. An arrest record, as public as this, can damage your reputation and ruin your chances of promotion or employment.
DWI in Houma
A first-offense DWI is a misdemeanor and if you are convicted, you may receive the following penalties:
- Up to six months imprisonment or a fine of $300 to $1,000
- 48 hours in jail
- Up to two years’ probation (depending on the court)
- About 30 hours of re-education involving mandatory attendance and completion of three courses in substance abuse, driver improvement, and a MADD victims impact program
- Plus at least 32 hours of community service, half of which must be garbage pickup on the street
Special penalty requirements for 1st-time DWI:
- If the BAC is over .15, then an additional 48 hours of the jail sentence cannot be suspended.
- If the BAC is over .20, then 48 hours of mandatory jail, plus a fine of $750 to $1,000, and an ignition interlock device must be installed for a period of 24 months.
Top Rated Terrebonne Parish DWI/DUI Lawyers
James Bates and Robert McMillin have successfully defended hundreds of DWI charges. They have prevented incarceration and obtained help for many of the accused who had alcohol or substance abuse problems.
Many people who have been arrested for DWI needed help, not punishment. We can help you. With decades of experience, advanced training, and a history of winning, James L. Bates Jr. and Robert D. McMillin are your best bet for defense. Their first-rate knowledge, proven expertise and compassion have produced winning defenses time and time again.
Get a FREE case consultation
Call today for a free, private consultation regarding your arrest: 985-643-0316. We’re waiting to listen to your story and evaluate how we can best help you.
Don’t hesitate. Contact Bates and McMillin today!
DWI Resources for Houma, LA
Judicial District: 32
Parish Seat: Houma
32nd Judicial District Court
400 Main Street
Houma, LA 70360