Did you know that if you are locked up in Shreveport for any amount of time, anyone can access your mugshot and arrest record? Any employer or future employer will be able to check this information easily. An arrest record, as public as this, can damage your reputation and ruin your chances of promotion or employment.
What can you do to protect your good name? You need a criminal defense attorney who has the years of experience and training to defend you. You need tough attorneys on your side who have top credentials and a history of winning.
Consequences of a Shreveport DWI
A first-offense DWI is considered a misdemeanor with the following penalties:
- Up to six months imprisonment or a fine of $300 to $1,000
- 48 hours in jail
- Up to two years probation (depending on the court)
- About 30 hours of re-education involving mandatory attendance and completion of three courses in substance abuse, driver improvement, and a MADD Victim Impact Panel
- Plus at least 32 hours of community service, half of which must be garbage pickup on the street
Special penalty requirements for 1st-time DWI:
- If the BAC is over .15, then an additional 48 hours of the jail sentence cannot be suspended
- If the BAC is over .20, then 48 hours of mandatory jail, plus a fine of $750 to $1,000, and an ignition interlock device must be installed for a period of 12 months
- If a second DWI, there is a BAC of .20 or over, the suspension period is 4 years
But this is just the beginning. If you’re arrested more than once, the penalties start here and only get worse. A third offense DWI is a felony, with a minimum of one year in prison with no opportunity for suspended sentence. For a fourth or subsequent DWI offense, the minimum prison sentence is ten years.
Aggressive, expert, compassionate DWI attorneys for Shreveport, Louisiana
James Bates works in all the courts and has successfully defended DWI charges. He has prevented imprisonment and obtained help for many of the accused who had alcohol or substance abuse problems, even on felony cases. Those clients needed help, not imprisonment. If you have been arrested for driving under the influence, you need help too.
With years of experience and advanced training, and a history of winning, James Bates is a top-rated attorney serving all of Caddo Parish, including Shreveport, Blanchard, Greenwood, Oil City, and Vivian. In fact, he handles drug and alcohol DUI defense cases throughout the state, and can
James Bates’ first-rate training, proven expertise, and compassion have generated successful defenses time and time again, and have permitted him to build the largest DUI defense firm in Louisiana.
DWI Resources for Caddo Parish
Judicial District: 1
Parish Seat: Shreveport
First Judicial District Court
501 Texas Street
Shreveport, LA 71101
Ask for a FREE case evaluation
Call today for a free, private assessment of your arrest: 985-503-2344. We’re waiting to listen to your story and evaluate how we can best help you. If you retain our services, you can rest assured that rates are the same for every parish – no matter where you live. And travel expenses are never charged to you.
Don’t hesitate. Contact Bates and McMillin today!
Image credit: CC Image courtesy of Paul Sableman